Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A basic question on headlights

I read the forums for an hour trying to know more about upgrading the headlights, but the information seems sparse to say the least. I understand a full blown HID fitting kit is around 1K. A cheap "drop in" HID kit will cost around 150$, but is not suggested for safety reasons.

Now, here is the deal for me : I quite like the stock FiST lighting, I love the headlights, and love the luminosity. The ONLY thing I would change is the beam color to have a more white / blue look. My question is, what if I buy a regular Blue Halogen H11 55W kit and just replace the bulb? It should be the same specs, just as replacing a burnt light, except the bulb would have a blue shell? There is a lot for sale amazon and ebay. Would I get the same lighting from a different color?

Thank you!

That's correct. I'm currently running Sylvania Xtravision H11 bulbs in my headlights, and Hella H11 2500k Yellows in my fogs.
Pics with your fogs? I have been thinking about going yellow fogs or even the dreaded highbeam yellow.

I got the Philips CrystalVision bulbs for my headlights. 4000K temp and it's a much a cleaner light than the stocks without stepping into blue light territory. Keep in mind that the higher color temperature you go, you'll lose light output unless you go to a higher wattage (which means more heat).

Nowadays HID kits are dirt cheap and you just have to find the right brand to trust. Also the LED headlight kits becoming more available but I have no experience with them. Also it's probably not a good idea to put either of these kits into the stock headlight since it'll blind other drivers...

I just did a lot of research and decided on the Philips Crystalvision Ultra. They seem to have an edge over the Silverstars from what I read and I trust Philips more. I got some for the low beams and fogs. I will do the high beam later because I rarely get to use them around here.

I recently installed a set of H11 LED headlight kits from XenonDepot. Simple install, with the entire unit, including heat sink and (presumably) canbus box, fitting easily in the headlight. They are brighter, and whiter (6k) but with a good cutoff, and I haven't had any negative reactions from other drivers, including a friend I was following for her take. I did have to adjust down the r headlight, but I believe that it came set too high from the factory.

I just did a lot of research and decided on the Philips Crystalvision Ultra. They seem to have an edge over the Silverstars from what I read and I trust Philips more. I got some for the low beams and fogs. I will do the high beam later because I rarely get to use them around here.
Good call staying incandescent. The optics on the FiST are quite good and I've been happy with this setup:

- Hella H11 XY (Extreme Yellow) fog bulbs for less glare (Amazon)
- Osram H11 Night Breaker Unlimited low beam bulbs (Candlepowerinc.com)
- Philips H1 Xtreme Vision high beam bulbs (Candlepowerinc.com)

I would never put an HID in a halogen reflector housing. It's one of my biggest pet peeves on the road. If I were to go HID, it would be a retrofit, and I don't want to sacrifice my headlights for that just yet.

Etyrnus

I recently installed a set of H11 LED headlight kits from XenonDepot. Simple install, with the entire unit, including heat sink and (presumably) canbus box, fitting easily in the headlight. They are brighter, and whiter (6k) but with a good cutoff, and I haven't had any negative reactions from other drivers, including a friend I was following for her take. I did have to adjust down the r headlight, but I believe that it came set too high from the factory.
These are what I want to do, just having to wait on funds to be available. The XtraVisions I bought in the meantime because I've used them before, and they have a noticeable but minor improvement over the stock bulbs.

OP
V
Thread Starter #14
Thank you all for your responses. As I said earlier, my plan is to stay with the halogen for now, as I quite like the lighting on the FiST. I think I will also go with the Philips CrystalVision or Sylvania Xtravision H11.

Just out of curiosity though, did any of you try the super cheap 4$ bulbs from Amazon or Ebay? I understand I can probably expect much lower life expectancy, but at that price, I can just just order a lot more...

Just out of curiosity though, did any of you try the super cheap 4$ bulbs from Amazon or Ebay?
I think a $4 bulb is just that... a $4 bulb.

Getting name brand premium bulbs like Philips and Osram is even sketchy on ebay and amazon... there are a lot of fakes out there.

That's why I always buy from Candlepower -- (Candlepowerinc.com)

I got mine from Xenon Depot. They are an authorized Phillips dealer, so not going to get fakes there. eBay is horrible for fakes, and I would avoid the bulbs for $4. With 15% off, you can get the Crystalvision H11s for $23 and change from Xenon Depot.

OP
V
Thread Starter #17
I got mine from Xenon Depot. They are an authorized Phillips dealer, so not going to get fakes there. eBay is horrible for fakes, and I would avoid the bulbs for $4. With 15% off, you can get the Crystalvision H11s for $23 and change from Xenon Depot.
Thanks I ordered from there (free shipping to Canada and actually cheaper than Amazon)! I went with the Crystalvision for low beams and fogs and with Nokya Halogen Headlight Bulbs for the high beam (just for the kick of it)!

I'm surprised the upgrade of bulbs is not discussed more in the forums, as it is clearly one of the cheapest upgrade that makes a whole lot of difference if you ask me!

OP
V
Thread Starter #19
XenonDeopt is a Canadian company in LaSalle Ontario ^_^
Yeah I noticed that this morning. Even better than, I guess I can expect them on my front door really soon! I'll take some pic from before and after since I'm upgrading all the beams.

Etyrnus

Yeah I noticed that this morning. Even better than, I guess I can expect them on my front door really soon! I'll take some pic from before and after since I'm upgrading all the beams.
XenonDeopt is a Canadian company in LaSalle Ontario ^_^
I managed to order the H11 LEDs from them Friday, and they were delivered today. And I'm in North Carolina. I'm impressed.