Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2012 Ford Fiesta S Radio Issues

City
La Follette
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta S
So I have a 2012 Ford Fiesta S, when I bought it, it had already had an aftermarket radio put in it. Well, this car didn't have sync to begin with, so this aftermarket face plate could not access any of the car functions. I could only change the time, and I could not even change the date or access any of the car settings.

Well I had bought an OEM CD/FM/AM/SAT radio for this car with a faceplate (non-sync) to go with it. Put it in. The radio works, the faceplate works, and I can access all of the car's settings again. Here is where the issue is. Even though my car's spec sheet stated the original radio had satellite functionality, none of the wiring nor the XM Antenna wire is actually there. That's not a huge deal. The bigger deal is that my car does not think that the CD Player is there.

I can hit CD all day long and it say NO CD AVAILABLE. I put a CD in it, it started playing it while still saying NO CD AVAILABLE. As soon as I switched back to Radio and tried to switch back to CD it wouldn't switch back due to the same error. It also won't let me eject it and it will give the same error. Is there something I need to do or something programming wise that will allow the CD player to work with this car?

I am also curious if there is a way to tap into and display the data off of the ambient temperature sensor. My car has one, I can see it when I hook an ODB2 scanner to it. I just don't see any obvious way to display the data inside the vehicle.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Do you have the owners manual? My Fiesta is still in storage,so I can't get to the glove box today. But you should be able to access the display menus and review what is selected to function. That external thermometer is one that I recall scrolling down through.
I used to pull out the owners manual to make room for useful things. But, my 2011 Fiesta was the first car that I decided to keep the manual in for reference on operating the features.

OP
C
City
La Follette
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta S
Thread Starter #3
I'm still trying to figure out this issue. I am thinking that I need that secondary harness in order to make the SiriusXM and the CD player to work. I do not know enough before hand about the wiring of the car to try and figure out a way to interface with that part of the radio.

Does anyone have wiring diagrams for the radio and faceplate for a SiriusXM+CD car radio? Or any ideas for how to get the car to recognize that the CD player is there and the SiriusXM radio is there? If I plug in a high end ODB2 scanner, it can see that the CD player is there with a CD in the drive (that is now stuck cause I can't eject it), and it shows that the radio is SAT enabled with an active SAT signal (from my external SiriusXM antenna)

I've probed with a test light some of the wires on the radio and the faceplate, and I've discovered a couple of them are definitely transferring data cause I can ground them out and try to switch to SiriusXM and CD and the radio tries, but will freeze.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would have to recommend that you take the issue to a reputable audio install shop. You mentioned that you swapped in another OE audio stack. I do know that every OE unit has it's own specific radio I.D. registration number. That is how the sat provider recognizes that exact unit. Did you contact Sirius with the new registration number for the unit you want to install? I hope that I am understanding what you are trying to do!

OP
C
City
La Follette
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta S
Thread Starter #5
I don’t even know how to pull that number. I can’t even get it to switch to SAT. Or CD for that matter. I get an error that says CD not available or SAT Radio not available. Like my car thinks that what’s installed is the original FM/AM AUX radio.

that’s why I want to find pinouts and wiring diagrams for this car. I wanna try to figure this out. My local dealership that has an audio programmer says the radio can’t be reprogrammed to the car but I bet it’s possible if you tie wires into the right places.
I feel like that secondary harness that some of these radios have plays a part in making the satellite work

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
If the Fiesta you have was not originally built with a Sat radio, I have to concur with the tech at the dealership regarding adding a system to your car. At the very least you will need to get the entire harness/harnesses from a wrecked Fiesta that was a SiriusXM equipped car! I cannot even imagine how much new cables and components would cost. Safe to say very, very expensive.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
If the Fiesta you have was not originally built with a Sat radio, I have to concur with the tech at the dealership regarding adding a system to your car. At the very least you will need to get the entire harness/harnesses from a wrecked Fiesta that was a SiriusXM equipped car! I cannot even imagine how much new cables and components would cost. Safe to say very, very expensive.
I do believe that you will be able to get the SiriusXM registration number to display through the menu. It's been years since I have played with any aspect of the sat radio. So I don't have any recall on the keystrokes required to call it up.

OP
C
City
La Follette
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta S
Thread Starter #8
Do you know if there are any wiring diagrams or pinouts for this system?

OP
C
City
La Follette
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta S
Thread Starter #9
I’m thinking my car did have the system originally by what all this says. I cross referenced the original radio and it was a AM FM CD MP3 and Satellite. I cannot find the second harness or the original satellite antenna. So hopefully they are buried in my car somewhere

Edit: I’ve looked everywhere in my car. If I have that harness buried somewhere I cannot find it. But, I can confirm. I took the cloth top piece down where the antenna wires come through the car. The satellite antenna wire is there. But I can’t find it behind the dash.

Edit 2: One step closer. I figured out how to reprogram the ECU with the Forscan software I have and I was able to change the radio type to say it has the CD player and now the CD player part of the radio does work. Still have no luck on the Satellite radio. And oddly enough after doing that, the Satellite Antenna short to ground and open circuit codes disappeared. Now I only have the lost communication with accessory code.

Attachments

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I did a Google search for 2012/Ford fiesta/audio system wiring diagrams?.
You should dig through that. I saw pinout diagrams and harness location images.
I think you will be able to find what you need there.

OP
C
City
La Follette
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta S
Thread Starter #11
Well I am stumped again. I tried tying pins 6 and 19 (SDL-H, SDL-L) on the accessory harness part of the radio to pins 14 and 15, which are the CAN Data Bus High and Low pins as an attempt to see what it would do and it didn't work. I really don't know what else to try, unless theres something in the HEX Dump of my radio data that will help me, but I don't know enough about that to even attempt to change anything in there. Maybe, what are the odds that the radio I bought the Satellite tuner built into the radio is dead? In the hex dump is something that looks like could be a scrambled VIN number (on the translated decimal side of it).

I'll post a hex dump and the backup file for my radio itself if anyone out there knows how to decipher it.
Direct HEX Dump
Code:
0101184A
3B6D00072E0F
6B00000013B1
4E23445B1A5D
20335A56336A
301B4755536E
3041454E639C
3F7274B80719
B8B8361A3F35
B810B84CB8BC
B874B8B8B88D
B8B8B8B8B8D2

Direct File Backup from Forscan
Code:
;Block 1
727G1G10101184A
;Block 2
727G2G1010234
;Block 3
727G3G13B6D00072E0F
727G3G26B00000013B1
;Block 4
727G4G14E23445B1A5D
727G4G220335A56336A
;Block 5
727G5G1301B4755536E
727G5G23041454E639C
;Block 6
727G6G13F7274B80719
727G6G2B8B8361A3F35
727G6G3067274070630
727G6G4B810B84CB8BC
727G6G5B874B8B8B88D
727G6G6B8B8B8B8B8D2

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Well, all I can say is don't change anything through the ForScan that you haven't already backed up! At least you can go back to original configuration then.
I have disassembled, messed around with and tinkered with many areas of my Fiesta's. Plus working on my project Fiesta. But I haven't ever had to do anything with the audio systems of any of them.
I am only about three months into my experience with ForScan. My primary reason for buying it was the need to actually "debuild" the project Fiesta of features like power locks, passive anti theft and door ajar warning.

Last edited:
OP
C
City
La Follette
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta S
Thread Starter #13
I have learned because I finally found a reference for it, that secondary harness is for the APIM module that is for Navigation & Sync equipped cars, and should not matter in my case for getting the SAT radio to work. I cannot find the SAT antenna and I still have the Circuit Open + Short to Ground codes on the SAT Antenna. I sorta wonder if those codes being there is flagging the computer to not allow it to work.

I'm running out of ideas honestly.

EDIT: This is the section of the ACM dump that I think could be a scrambled vin, but I am not sure.
33 5A 56 33 6A 30 1B 47 55 53 6E 30 41 45 4E 63 9C
Which in ASCII translates to these 17 bytes
3ZV3j0GUSn0AENcœ

Now I don't know for sure, but just the fact it does start with 3ZV3 which could be the start of a vin. But for all I know, this HEX code could be machine code.

Last edited:
OP
C
City
La Follette
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta S
Thread Starter #14
I did figure out something using the official service manuals and software from the Motorcraft website. If this ACM had the SiriusXM radio previously activated, which I'm sure it probably was, then the ESN is linked to that car's VIN and if the VIN doesn't match the SXM functionality won't work. So I got to figure out how to either reprogram the module without a VCM because I do not have one or the Ford IDS software, or figure out where in this module the VIN is and change it to match mine.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I'm quite sure that you will need access to IDS to edit the VIN. That's a protected capability through the dealership service department. I have to believe that buying that software would be very expensive as I understand that access to it is licensed to the dealership as part of being an "authorized dealership".

OP
C
City
La Follette
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta S
Thread Starter #16
Yeah I think I’m stuck unless I’m lucky enough that vin is in the as built data somewhere. Or maybe the ESN might be stored somewhere where I can pull it

OP
C
City
La Follette
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fiesta S
Thread Starter #17
So I don’t mean to bump such an old thread but I want to tell anyone else who is experiencing issues like this what I have found out.
It turns out that in the 2011-2013 models of fiesta that the Satellite radio data is actually stored in the APIM module, which my car not having Sync does not have. There is also data stored in the different display panels for this radio while in mine there is nothing.
The car doesn’t realize the satellite radio is here because it is missing the APIM module. The ESN code and all of the preset data is stored in there.
So time to find an aftermarket radio that still works with the cars factory functions, because apparently the Metra devices to give accessory and 12v to radios don’t work with non sync cars.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You also helped answer another question about the APIM and the CAN bus system.

Each "module" has an overlay of what it does to help the other modules recognize the addition to the family and supplements the network by providing the addressing that the other systems can use

So, the Satellite "part" or module just hasn't been located yet...per Missing In Action on the addressing lines the CAN Bus keeps asking for.

I'm watching this thread with interest.

These Fiesta remind me of a later edition of a video Game using a Z80 chipset, or something along the Motorola series, the "ROM" is the background - the characters are interactive data sharing and the regions affected are addresses within this whole matrix, working as an overlay You can't land anywhere there is not a module - so wrong addresses are simply ignored unless activity and "handshaking" is established - else the APIM (or MCP) and the Dashboard won't address it.