Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

98 Ranger Amp Draw Adventure

Chazzone

What I Drive
98 Ranger
Tracking a .25 amp draw on a 98 Ranger. Traced to a relay in the center of the dash to the right of the ABS Module. The hot wires are Lt Green/Yellow stripe. Any idea what this relay is?

OP
C

Chazzone

What I Drive
98 Ranger
Thread Starter #2
OK...confirmed that this is the battery saver relay. It was suggested that the GEM was the culprit (Ford Mechanic online...), but when the GEM is unplugged, power remains at the relay. Ideas?

OP
C

Chazzone

What I Drive
98 Ranger
Thread Starter #3
One thing I didn't do was fix the meter leads to the contacts.

Every time I took a reading, I was starting all over again.

After I fixed the leads, I found that the draw went down to .03 (after 45 minutes).

So, apparently I'm on a wild goose chase.

Doesn't explain why I'm on my 3rd battery in 4 months (original, cheap replacement, Optima Yellow Top).

Alternator checked out initially. So, I'll go back there and make sure it is charging.

Maybe this will help someone else.

Zapp

What I Drive
2004 Ford Ranger
Wow 3rd battery in 4 months, ouch. Might I suggest a small ‘solar’ battery charger when your Ranger is parked. I have 4 of them and they work great to trickle charge tractor, Jeep, RV, boat, etc. I use a Sunsei 135mA (2watt). My wife sewed a really nice ‘sock’ that fits over the solar unit when not being used.

OP
C

Chazzone

What I Drive
98 Ranger
Thread Starter #5
Thanks Zapp. I have a trickle charger already in use. Unfortunately, the draw was greater than the "trickle". In fact, it was measured at twice the output of your solar panel. Much better to track down the problem and fix it.

Zapp

What I Drive
2004 Ford Ranger
That’s huge drawdown. And yes I understand finding the source of that leakage and correcting it is #1 goal. I had two rigs with drawdown problems. Both were tied back to inherent and constant battery draw by the vehicles own electronic system design. That was not a leakage as you have (it was power cannibalism designed by mfr). On both my rigs with problems, I installed a battery quick disconnect at negative battery terminal. That isolated the battery from vehicle electrical system and solar charger kept battery topped off.
Best of luck on your hunt, electrical problems are a real hassle.