Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What's the reason behind the complexity of the clutch pedal?

I got my first look at the pedals on this car while trying to silicone spray away some annoying squeaks from the clutch pedal. Multiple pivot points, multiple switches, a hinged return spring. I don't get it. It seems like they are trying to do a WHOLE LOT, most of which a much more simple clutch pedal and switch could do. Maybe a safety thing so it doesn't break your ankle in an accident? As an aside, the spray resulted in VERY slightly less pedal effort and slightly more smoothness. Barely there, but better.

JasonHaven

The clutch noise on hot days kills me. I tried spray, but maybe I didn't do it well enough... but with winter approaching, I guess I won't hear it again until April or so haha

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I spray mine about once every 2 months. I got a white grease application and it works well, for about 2 months then everything gets dry again. I'm done taking it to the dealership. They just stare at it and tell me it's normal.

I read somewhere it's a spring assisted set up to minimize the feel of a "heavy" pressure plate. In my opinion it feels great compared to just about any other manual car I've driven.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Oh the feel is great. It's the annoying clicking and creaking noises. And ford doing nothing about it.

JasonHaven

Oh the feel is great. It's the annoying clicking and creaking noises. And ford doing nothing about it.
Yup! Love the clutch, just not the squeak when it's hot. Otherwise no complaints at all here. It goes away with a couple minutes of AC, also. So it's definitely something expanding in the mechanism, causing rubbing.

FistSt215

Trying to figure out what clutch noise you guys are dealing with ? The only noise I get is when I depress the clutch like getting off it after switching gears I hear a spring/thunk noise .

JasonHaven

I don't know how to describe it, but when the weather is warmer, until the AC cools the interior down a bit, the clutch both feels and sounds like expanded gaskets rubbing against each other. It hasn't been an actual problem so far, in that blasting the footwell AC for a couple minutes clears it up, but still, it's annoying.

OP
J
Thread Starter #10
Trying to figure out what clutch noise you guys are dealing with ? The only noise I get is when I depress the clutch like getting off it after switching gears I hear a spring/thunk noise .
This is a squeaky pedal as far as I can tell...you can actually feel it in your foot as you apply and release the pedal. There were a couple high pitched hinge-y kind of squeaks that were eliminated by the silicone spray, but a lower pitched squeak remains that you can feel through your shoe. Actually, that noise didn't exist before the spray. It's hard to troubleshoot when you have overlapping issues that could be at either end of the whole clutch pedal assembly.

Waterfan

I have some minor clicking and creaking too. The overall feel is great so I don't let it bother me. (would be very nice if it were completely quiet though)