Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Transmission issue

So I'm curious, how smooth is everyone's gearbox?

Mine feels super knotchy from 1st to 2nd consistently and occasionally 3rd and 4th. I noticed on the 1st to 2nd shift that if I wait a while to actually put it in gear it goes in smooth. So my guess is the syncros... Or it's because 1st and 2nd has such a huge difference and because the revs drop so slow the gear I'm feeling the syncros resisting a bit. It doesn't really explain 3rd to 4th so much though...

The best way to describe the feeling....it feels like when you are trying to put it in first gear while going to fast without rev matching... It just feels like resistance...

No matter what, it really spoils the driving experience for me...

I don't think I've had any grinding yet, but it just doesn't feel smooth... I had a mechanic from Ford ride with me and he said it felt good and felt even better than his FOST.... I know it's there though, that's what bugs me.

I don't think it's gotten any worse, I'm at around 12800 miles and it's been going on since like 5k... I don't beat on this car, don't just bang through gears. I do have a tune, but this issue was occurring beforehand.

Is this normal? Has anyone swapped out the factory transmission fluid for the same fluid and noticed any difference?

Any suggestions, I can't really find any threads on this with an actual solution or outcome. I'm kinda worried now that I'm tuned they may not want to fix it...

sorry for the wall of text.... Suggestions are appreciated...

OP
T
Thread Starter #2
So I drove it a few minutes ago and it felt great. Tried moving the knob into gear quicker and it felt really smooth. It's cold out, around 59f and it's rained a bunch so it's humid....(cold by AZ standards at least...) Maybe it's better when it's cold. I drove the car until it fully warmed up and it didn't change. Maybe it's worse when it's hotter out. Could that mean it's low on fluid or something?

I guess I'll puts around tomorrow and see. Maybe I'm just driving too much like a grandma.

My car is 2,400 miles now and I definitely notice the shifter is getting more notchy as well. I'm not happy about it, but like you, it's not creaking or grinding. I will keep an eye on it.
Was thinking about adding different fluid to see if engagement got better, or in spring adding one of the shift kits on the market to see if that smooths it out.

I thought it might be my imagination that it was not shifting as smooth as it did when brand new, I'm at 4,600 miles now. I'm hoping that changing the transmission fluid will help it out some.

DvC

So I drove it a few minutes ago and it felt great. Tried moving the knob into gear quicker and it felt really smooth. It's cold out, around 59f and it's rained a bunch so it's humid....(cold by AZ standards at least...) Maybe it's better when it's cold. I drove the car until it fully warmed up and it didn't change. Maybe it's worse when it's hotter out. Could that mean it's low on fluid or something?

I guess I'll puts around tomorrow and see. Maybe I'm just driving too much like a grandma.

where about in AZ are you? maybe we can meet up and see if there is a difference. i have 4500 miles on mine and it is smooth as butter.

DO NOT change the fluid from stock thats just one more thing the dealer can use to deny coverage.

I do get the sense that the stock transmission fluid is very temperature sensitive. It seems to run great when it's warmed up and under 80 degrees outside, but can be a bit rough when it's really hot out. I think the stock fluid is pretty thin and so it just doesn't seem as smooth at higher temps. However, I never find it to be a big problem. The 1-2 shift gave me issues for the first 1000 miles or so, but now I don't have much of an issue (though that could be because it's cooler now and/or because I installed the RMM). I find that the smoothest shift is achieved by waiting a beat after depressing the clutch followed by a quick, authoritative throw, making sure you keep the clutch fully in throughout. If you nurse it too much, it seems to rub more.

OP
T
Thread Starter #7
I'm starting to think that it's normal. I paid close attention today and it seemed okay. 2nd gear is still a bit grabby feeling, but I think that's because of the ratio between 1st and 2nd combined with the fact the revs drop so slow.

It seems people say it's either smooth or a bit knotchy so IDK if it's an actual problem or if the transmissions just vary a lot...

where about in AZ are you? maybe we can meet up and see if there is a difference. i have 4500 miles on mine and it is smooth as butter.

DO NOT change the fluid from stock thats just one more thing the dealer can use to deny coverage.
What about maybe just having the dealer swap out the factory fill fluid with the same exact fluid? (just an oil change) I haven't really seen too many people do that but a few said it helped...

...Mine feels super knotchy from 1st to 2nd consistently and occasionally 3rd and 4th...
Hi gang,

I'm Crystal; I'll be keeping an eye on things here while Nick is on vacation. If something doesn't feel quite right when you're shifting, definitely bring it up to your dealer so they can get it documented and diagnosed. Need me to arrange for a call from your regional customer service manager? Just send over your details in a PM, and I'll make it happen. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
I do get the sense that the stock transmission fluid is very temperature sensitive. It seems to run great when it's warmed up and under 80 degrees outside, but can be a bit rough when it's really hot out. I think the stock fluid is pretty thin and so it just doesn't seem as smooth at higher temps. However, I never find it to be a big problem. The 1-2 shift gave me issues for the first 1000 miles or so, but now I don't have much of an issue (though that could be because it's cooler now and/or because I installed the RMM). I find that the smoothest shift is achieved by waiting a beat after depressing the clutch followed by a quick, authoritative throw, making sure you keep the clutch fully in throughout. If you nurse it too much, it seems to rub more.
Actually when I drove it last night that's what I did. I swear it's smoother when cold which is bizarre, usually it's the opposite. It's not bad right now, 2nd and 4th aren't always buttery smooth, but I don't think there is any grinding.... Weird...

OP
T
Thread Starter #11
Hi gang,

I'm Crystal; I'll be keeping an eye on things here while Nick is on vacation. If something doesn't feel quite right when you're shifting, definitely bring it up to your dealer so they can get it documented and diagnosed. Need me to arrange for a call from your regional customer service manager? Just send over your details in a PM, and I'll make it happen. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal
Thanks Crystal. I'll keep an eye on it for a few more days and see if anything changes. I'm driving the car to octane academy the 29th-30th so if there is an issue I'll have to take care of it when I get back.

Same story here. Right at 10,000 mi notchiness set in. Took it to Ford, they said it felt "normal". Changed to Mutol 300, nothin. Tried Boomba shifter bushings, nothin. It sucks because many of us know that a brand new FiST has one of the smoothest shifting transmissions period. It used to slide into gear so easily and quietly.

I've given up worrying about it. I don't like it but the rest of the car is pretty perfect and awesome. Take the good with the bad.

There are stories like this popping up on this forum weekly now.

P.S. mine shifts nicer in colder weather. The stock transmission fluid is super viscous, especially when warm. I was told by the service manager that it is the same fluid Ford puts in many of their automatics.

DvC

I'm starting to think that it's normal. I paid close attention today and it seemed okay. 2nd gear is still a bit grabby feeling, but I think that's because of the ratio between 1st and 2nd combined with the fact the revs drop so slow.

It seems people say it's either smooth or a bit knotchy so IDK if it's an actual problem or if the transmissions just vary a lot...

What about maybe just having the dealer swap out the factory fill fluid with the same exact fluid? (just an oil change) I haven't really seen too many people do that but a few said it helped...
Yeah the shift between 1-2 is awkward because of the rev hang. get that same "issue" if you can even call it that. Like i said dude if you need help with anything PM me. another option is to go to a dealer and see if theyll let you test drive a new one and see if the difference is there. that way youll be able to do back to back drives. I have a feeling if you took it to the dealer they would ask you why you want a fluid change so early in your cars life cycle. they would probably do it tho and it would hurt anything. worse case scenario the car feels the same.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thanks Crystal. I'll keep an eye on it for a few more days and see if anything changes. I'm driving the car to octane academy the 29th-30th so if there is an issue I'll have to take care of it when I get back.
Compare their cars with yours. Maybe even talk to the techs there about it. Good luck and have fun.

I find that the smoothest shift is achieved by waiting a beat after depressing the clutch followed by a quick, authoritative throw, making sure you keep the clutch fully in throughout. If you nurse it too much, it seems to rub more.
Actually when I drove it last night that's what I did. I swear it's smoother when cold which is bizarre, usually it's the opposite. ... Weird...
.S. mine shifts nicer in colder weather. The stock transmission fluid is super viscous, especially when warm. I was told by the service manager that it is the same fluid Ford puts in many of their automatics.
I agree with all these statements, if I'm sloppy with the clutch, the synchro feels off...then I'll run all the gears, thinking I'm resetting the synchro....

OP
T
Thread Starter #16
Same story here. Right at 10,000 mi notchiness set in. Took it to Ford, they said it felt "normal". Changed to Mutol 300, nothin. Tried Boomba shifter bushings, nothin. It sucks because many of us know that a brand new FiST has one of the smoothest shifting transmissions period. It used to slide into gear so easily and quietly.

I've given up worrying about it. I don't like it but the rest of the car is pretty perfect and awesome. Take the good with the bad.

There are stories like this popping up on this forum weekly now.

P.S. mine shifts nicer in colder weather. The stock transmission fluid is super viscous, especially when warm. I was told by the service manager that it is the same fluid Ford puts in many of their automatics.
That's kinda where I'm at. I have a feeling that I could worry about this car every single mile and nothing would every actually happen....

I wonder if a thicker fluid would help, but then you run into a whole lot of other issues.... Then I'd be worrying if it's flowing well... lol

Yeah it's supposedly the dual clutch fluid, which seems weird...

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-XT-11-QDC-Clutch-Transmission/dp/B00BNVK974

I believe Motul makes a DCT fluid that meets the Ford specs, I may go down that road later down the line if nothing happens.

It seems to be worse in warmer weather though, which is odd. I might have them check and make sure it has enough fluid in it...

Yeah the shift between 1-2 is awkward because of the rev hang. get that same "issue" if you can even call it that. Like i said dude if you need help with anything PM me. another option is to go to a dealer and see if theyll let you test drive a new one and see if the difference is there. that way youll be able to do back to back drives. I have a feeling if you took it to the dealer they would ask you why you want a fluid change so early in your cars life cycle. they would probably do it tho and it would hurt anything. worse case scenario the car feels the same.
I appreciate it man. I'm driving to Octane Academy the 29th and 30th so if it's still quirky after that we might have to meet up. Always great meeting another AZ FIST owner too :) I often go to the car meet at Kmart off Bell and 67th on Saturday nights. Usually a few of my buddies bring their Fiestas.

But overall, it doesn't seem to be getting worse and seeing as it seems to have started around 5kish miles and I'm at 13k, it may just be a quirk of my particular car. Friend of mine bought a used 14 and he said his 2nd gear is the same deal.

These cars makes lots of noises, but it seems people beat on these cars pretty hard and never really run into major issues.

I appreciate all the feedback. I'll let you know what happens. At least then we can maybe help put this to rest for other owners...It seems most of these threads start and never end up with any real answers.

Thanks again!

Sounds like a plan, Tesco2015; either Nick or I will be here if you need any help in the future. Have a fun trip!

Crystal