Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bike Rack

Had the opportunity to hook up my bike rack after getting the car back from the dealer's.

My mission is to not have to put big expensive scaffolding on the roof of my new car.

Even as a Thule dealer, it's expensive for me to do a roof system, and they look terrible on tiny cars.

So, here's what my trusty strap rack looks like on the car! Put one of my biggest bikes on there and gave it some highway mileage for good measure, all seems to have fit well, I've yet to plonk the full suspension bike on to test for weight, as i want to distribute the top strap load a little better, perhaps some foam pads or maybe those puffy seatbelt cover things from the '90s.

I was actually looking to go towards the roof system as i was afraid to damage the spoiler with my strap rack...

So, did you notice any bouncing of the rack on the highway? I'm kinda worried about the spoiler becoming loose.

OP
ItMightBePizza
Thread Starter #3
I feel like it's gonna be a problem. Scratch this idea, really.

Thinking of slapping This bad boy on there and just using a hitch rack instead.

No way i'm putting a hitch on my car :p

I guess the roof rack will still be the way to go for me.

Dear Mr maybe Pizza, ;)
Please could you post a link to the actual rack you're using? I looked on Hollywood's site and it was less than useful. I've a road bike that weighs in ~19lbs., and would only carry 1 bike, but locally it's only Thule kit at silly money!
Thanks in advance!
Russell

FocusMike

Dear Mr maybe Pizza, ;)
Please could you post a link to the actual rack you're using? I looked on Hollywood's site and it was less than useful. I've a road bike that weighs in ~19lbs., and would only carry 1 bike, but locally it's only Thule kit at silly money!
Thanks in advance!
Russell

For the hatch they recommend the Over-The-Top rack.
http://www.hollywoodracks.com/trunk-racks/F2-over-the-top-spoiler-trunk-rack.htm

OP
ItMightBePizza
Thread Starter #8
I have been using the Hollywood Baja for almost a full year with absolutely no problems, outside of a little dust-induced rubbing, which is de rigeur on all strap racks.

Saving up for the Thule scaffolding, as there is no trailer hitch which works on the ST.

I do get comments on how my 29er XC racer is bigger than my car.

I have been using the Hollywood Baja for almost a full year with absolutely no problems, outside of a little dust-induced rubbing, which is de rigeur on all strap racks.

Saving up for the Thule scaffolding, as there is no trailer hitch which works on the ST.

I do get comments on how my 29er XC racer is bigger than my car.
Did you ever purchase the Thule roof rack? There's a couple places doing black Friday sales on Thule gear. 20% off.

OP
ItMightBePizza
Thread Starter #10
I have the privilege of being a thule dealer, so the price is not the issue I have... It's just so unflattering up there... Haha I know I'm a snob. Post up your Thule deals for all to see!

I have the privilege of being a thule dealer, so the price is not the issue I have... It's just so unflattering up there... Haha I know I'm a snob. Post up your Thule deals for all to see!
Understandable, it really does look like a scaffold on a short, low car.

As for deals...

etrailer.com has the aeroblade "kit" for $360.85 (feet, fit kit, and bars): http://www.etrailer.com/roof-2014_Ford_Fiesta.htm

backcountry.com has the same "kit" for $365.00

Both sites have the side arm bike rack on sale for $160 ish

So figure around $540ih for everything needed to mount a single bike. Pretty pricey.. As for other solutions, the Saris Bones racks has gotten some good reviews from the FoST guys. Not sure how I feel about a trunk mounted carrier though.

I just purchased a cheap roof rack system from sportrack to haul my snowboard. It actually looks nice on the FiST and won't break the bank at $130. Quality doesn't compare to big name companies but it does the job and looks badass

iso100

1000 Post Club
I got a Curt hitch from Amazon for about $110 and then the rack was about $120.

I only put the rack in the receiver before riding. It takes about 1 minute to install or remove. Total convenience and I don't have to use a crossbar adapter or take off my wheel.

I got a Curt hitch from Amazon for about $110 and then the rack was about $120.

I only put the rack in the receiver before riding. It takes about 1 minute to install or remove. Total convenience and I don't have to use a crossbar adapter or take off my wheel.
Cool, yeah I had looked at the Curt hitch on Amazon. Gets good reviews. How was the install of it? Pretty straight forward? Thanks for the info btw!

iso100

1000 Post Club
Cool, yeah I had looked at the Curt hitch on Amazon. Gets good reviews. How was the install of it? Pretty straight forward? Thanks for the info btw!
The installation was very straightforward. Read the instructions fully to ensure proper usage of the fish wire though. I put the bolts in the wrong holes first and was lucky to get them out again for proper installation.

I didn't have to remove or cut the heat shield. It does creak a bit now so I might need to move the shield away from the hitch in that location.