Welcome to the #1 Ford Ranger Forum and Ford Ranger community dedicated to Ford Ranger owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Ranger Forum today!

Looking for some feedback. Head gasket issue

jster51

City
Menlo Park
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
1999 Ranger xlt
1999 Ranger. 229,625 miles. Have developed a head gasket issue, resulting in high HC levels=overheating. Replacing head gasket, which because of age of engine, might trigger other problems, replace with new/rebuilt engine, or just take funds for rebuilt and put towards newer model used vehicle. Any thoughts to help me figure this out will be greatly appreciated. TIA

City
Aurora
State
CO
Country
United States
What I Drive
98 Ford Ranger
I replaced the head gaskets on my 98 last year. Honestly it's not all that difficult if you plan your process, have a space to work, and get the right tools. The only real specialty tool I needed to buy was a torque wrench.

I'm not an uber wrench monkey. I watched YouTube videos and made a list of what needed to be done in what order. I marked every tube, connector and hose on each end with where it goes. Take pictures as you go so you have references to where that damned weird little tube you took off last week goes back on. Keep the screws and bolts you take off in marked bags.

I put 4k more miles on the truck since then until a deer ran in front of me last month on I-25. Repairs for that are underway.