Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating!!!

Overheating

I ran the Fiesta yesterday at SCCA Track Night in America at Thunderhill, and experienced severe cooling issues. The car overheated a total of 5 times.

Ambient temperature was between 85-90 degrees F. Every session, after the out lap and 1 hot lap my coolant would hit 250 degrees, and oil would hit 260 degrees.

My modifications include Cobb intake, Cobb exhaust, Airtec FMIC, and Stage 2 OTS tune. For the last session I uninstalled the AP and ran the heater on full blast, and my coolant light still came on at the start of lap 3.

Here's video from one of the sessions:

[video]https://youtu.be/tidECFJl7z8[/video]

Good to know I'll need a radiator and oil cooler if I ever intend to do any tracking.

Siestarider

I have similar setup but 2j dp Cobb S3 and stock catback, my temps are not going that high on track full 20 min sessions and I am here in 90F Florida holding nothing back. Maybe the stock Cat is part of your overheating problem.

I have a stock 2015 ST, with zero powertrain mods. The car did four 20 minute sessions at Sonoma Raceway (Infineon/ Sears Point) in high 70's- low 80's ambient temperatures. The car flat out ripped, being driven 8/10ths by a NASA Pro license holder. He was driving hard, not 10/10ths because its not his car, lol.
Without an AP3, I cannot report extact temps, but he stated the highest water temp indicated was maybe one bar to the right of where it reads in basic street driving.

I am concerned about the OP's troubles. I have a track day planned at THill in October. I don't want a similar experience to the OP's.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
With the cost of real track days, its not worth it to let coolant temps ruin even ONE DAY, so getting the mistu radiator before it happens is prob going to be our best bet... Or if more people buy Russ's crash bar and open up the radiator/grill.

MPA

I imagine it's a huge PITA to drill out the stock grill - there has to be 200 holes.

me32

1000 Post Club
I have similar setup but 2j dp Cobb S3 and stock catback, my temps are not going that high on track full 20 min sessions and I am here in 90F Florida holding nothing back. Maybe the stock Cat is part of your overheating problem.
Thats a thought the stock cat maybe getting extremely hot

OP
LeonardSkeonard
Thread Starter #12
Downpipe is probably going to be my next purchase. We'll see if that helps at all.

Rest assured that a radiator will solve most of your issues. At my home track ambients are always above 90 year round. Add to that 80% humidity because its right next to the ocean.

My first track day was a similar experience. Running stock tune and high octane gas for the second half of the day helped add two more laps to my sessions.

For the next track day I upgraded to the 2JR rad, paid it's premium custom order price. With the new rad using stock Ford Motorcaft coolant and stock shroud/fan coolant temp never went over 230 during a full 20 min session. By the end of it my Oil Temps where starting to trigger limp mode anyway.

For my next track day I'll add an oil cooler, already swapped coolant for Evan's Cooling, 2JR FMIC and a downpipe. Hopefully with those changes I'll be able to run full sessions with ots stg 3 map and keep all temps in check. I'll try to get around to opening up my front grill as well.

Or a bigger more powerful fan not very much at speed driving happening in LA traffic
Are you overheating in traffic? If so, that's definitely something to take to the dealer. Track is a whole other story ;)

OP
LeonardSkeonard
Thread Starter #19
The car did overheat on my way home from work on Sunday. Cruising at 70 mph in 106 degree heat, the red coolant light came on.