Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Fiesta, strong smell from vents

Not sure if this is in the right section but there didn't seem to be anything that this would fit in.

I bought my 2016 Fiesta ST a little over 3 weeks ago. Just rolled over 1k miles today. Not sure if it was always there or it's just been bothering me more recently. But as far as I can tell I get a strong smell coming from the vents when I turn on the AC after getting into the car that's been sitting in the sun for several hours. Sometimes it's strong enough that I can taste it and it gives me a headache. This is my first new car so I'm not sure what smells to expect. If it's the new car smell of the off gassing of plastics and glues then it's really strong. It's bothered me enough that my windows have now been opened just a bit for the past 2 days to let it air out some. I didn't notice it as much today when I turned on the AC, but it was there. I haven't sprayed any kind of air freshener in it yet. I pretty much always use the AC on recirculate because I'm in Texas, and I leave the windows closed. The cars generally sits outside uncovered during the hottest part of the day while I'm at work with the windows shut. So until recently I didn't give much chance of any smells escaping.

The smell is not foul like something crawled up in there and died. Doesn't smell like mold, but then I don't go around smelling mold often. Can't say I've smelt anything like it before to compare.

PhoenixM3

Not sure if this is in the right section but there didn't seem to be anything that this would fit in.

I bought my 2016 Fiesta ST a little over 3 weeks ago. Just rolled over 1k miles today. Not sure if it was always there or it's just been bothering me more recently. But as far as I can tell I get a strong smell coming from the vents when I turn on the AC after getting into the car that's been sitting in the sun for several hours. Sometimes it's strong enough that I can taste it and it gives me a headache. This is my first new car so I'm not sure what smells to expect. If it's the new car smell of the off gassing of plastics and glues then it's really strong. It's bothered me enough that my windows have now been opened just a bit for the past 2 days to let it air out some. I didn't notice it as much today when I turned on the AC, but it was there. I haven't sprayed any kind of air freshener in it yet. I pretty much always use the AC on recirculate because I'm in Texas, and I leave the windows closed. The cars generally sits outside uncovered during the hottest part of the day while I'm at work with the windows shut. So until recently I didn't give much chance of any smells escaping.

The smell is not foul like something crawled up in there and died. Doesn't smell like mold, but then I don't go around smelling mold often. Can't say I've smelt anything like it before to compare.
Here is my thought. To me you're smelling a mildew build up possibly from AC condensate NOT draining properly. I had this problem in 2 BMWs and a cure was to shut off the ac about a minute prior to stopping and shutting off the car. There also may be some blockage or debris which has worked its way into the vent and just rotted. I'd hit up Ford customer service. I haven't heard of this issue in this particular car.

Good luck,

Jeff

^^ This. Drain hose could be pinched or blocked. Try turning the heat to full on and letting it idle for a while. If it gets better you have a problem with condensate building up.

Extreme heat and glue and solvents gassing off fast (because of the heat) being blown into the car. You bet benzine, M.E.K., all sorts of other chemicals in high concentrations will give you a headache.
Ride with windows down and keep windows cracked while parked until that nasty stuff off-gasses. The car is too new and in too dry an environment to be mold/mildew, IMO.
Give it a couple weeks and it will be fine.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
One more thing is before leaving the car if you do not crack the windows open turn the recirculate off to let some of the air out of the car. Good luck.

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
Ok, I will try and air it out best I can. It's only rained once since I've had the car and I've washed it twice, once this morning. I forgot to crack the windows today but recirc should be off. I'll see what happens. Since I've been airing it out it hasn't been so strong.