Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Poor fuel mileage

FLFiesta

City
Panama City Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE hatchback
New member from NW Florida. Picked up a 2019 fiesta SE after my Nissan Versa was totalled by a tourist on vacation down here. So far Its a nice car but the gas mileage is far below what I would expect for a compact car that is rated at 27 mpg city. I average about 22 mpg and get about 250 miles out of a tank and just recently hit 1000 miles. I dont hot rod it, don't drive it in sport mode and don't have a lead foot so I made an appointment with the dealership to see if they could troubleshoot it and find out what the problem is. I know several other people with Fiestas who tell me they are getting in the high 20s and even close to 30 even during stop and go city driving so I am at a loss as to why this might be happening. Has anyone else had this issue?

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
I've rarely gotten anywhere close to 22mpg average in my Fiesta. Lots of times I average 19-20mpg.

OP
F

FLFiesta

City
Panama City Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #3
I've rarely gotten anywhere close to 22mpg average in my Fiesta. Lots of times I average 19-20mpg.
What year and mileage? These things should be getting at the very least in the mid 20s during city driving and low to mid 30s on the hwy. I have 2 friends who both drive fiestas who get in the high 20s in town.

MKVIIST

Staff Team
State
AZ
Country
United States
What year and mileage? These things should be getting at the very least in the mid 20s during city driving and low to mid 30s on the hwy. I have 2 friends who both drive fiestas who get in the high 20s in town.
'14 Fiesta 46k miles

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
New member from NW Florida. Picked up a 2019 fiesta SE after my Nissan Versa was totalled by a tourist on vacation down here. So far Its a nice car but the gas mileage is far below what I would expect for a compact car that is rated at 27 mpg city. I average about 22 mpg and get about 250 miles out of a tank and just recently hit 1000 miles. I dont hot rod it, don't drive it in sport mode and don't have a lead foot so I made an appointment with the dealership to see if they could troubleshoot it and find out what the problem is. I know several other people with Fiestas who tell me they are getting in the high 20s and even close to 30 even during stop and go city driving so I am at a loss as to why this might be happening. Has anyone else had this issue?
Even though it's a new car, I would still have a dealership tech do a close inspection for either brake drag at one or more wheels or more possibly a bad wheel bearing. That will kill fuel economy.

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
My '19 Fiesta SE 5-speed is ~850 miles and the average MPG is at 35.2, and I do a pretty even amount of city/hwy miles

OP
F

FLFiesta

City
Panama City Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
My '19 Fiesta SE 5-speed is ~850 miles and the average MPG is at 35.2, and I do a pretty even amount of city/hwy miles
Exactly my point. My dealership took a look and all they said was the car didn't register any codes and to wait until I hit about 5000 miles to see if the mileage improved after breaking in. Sounds like a cop out to me. Other than going to another dealership for an analysis I am at a loss as to what to do.

State
PA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Fiesta SE
My '19 SE automatic has about 3400k on it now and I'm averaging somewhere between 28 & 29 MPG according to the dashboard computer. Lots of stop and go traffic and once in a while on the highway. Always a heavy foot.

Sounds like something is not right with yours, FLFiesta. I'd definitely be getting another opinion at a different dealership.

I don't have any suggestions as to what it could be, though.

Last edited: