Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Hi,
New guy here, I’m having some issues with my 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, currently with 152,000 miles

Short version:
The vehicle has been shutting off randomly, whenever the wrench light is on. Sometimes it shuts off a few minutes after the light is on. Sometimes I might drive hours without the vehicle shutting off. However, if the wrench light is not on, the vehicle drives for days or weeks without having any problem. The problem only starts when the wrench light comes on and I get a “depress brake to shift from park” message every time I select park on the rotary gear selector.

Here is a more detailed explanation:
The issue starts starts by showing a “depress brake to shift from park” message every time you select P on the gear selector. After that message starts appearing, the amber wrench light also turns on and stays on. Whenever the amber wrench light is on, the vehicle will randomly show the Red triangle with “Stop safely now” message, and the vehicle turns off soon after. Whenever the wrench light is On, the vehicle can turn off at any time, driving on the highway, driving slow in the streets or when I'm stopped, at a red light for example, it shuts off without anyone warning. Sometimes the wrench light comes on and stays on for hours while I'm driving and nothing happens, the car drives normally and never shuts off. Other times the wrench light turns on and vehicle will shut off after a few minutes or few hours.

Sometimes the wrench light comes on and stays on for a couple of days than it goes away for a few days and up to two weeks, it stays off, without any issue. Than randomly it will come back again and stay on few hours or up to couple of days.

The engine light does not come on after the first time the car has shut off, but if the car continues to shutoff a few more time in a roll, the engine light appears and stays on for few hours, than it will disappear after I drive the vehicle a little. The only code stored and when the light is on is U0111, but I’m thinking it’s more of a symptom than the cause.

Whenever the engine light comes on the Ford app shows you a message regarding the engine light. Mine says: the gear shift control module exhibit a configuration fault due to incorrect installation or to the last update and requires service for proper operation
Because of that app message regarding the gear shift control module and also the beginning of the whole thing starting with the message about the depressing the break when I shift to park, makes me think it’s has something to do with the gear selector (gear shift assembly) or the gear shift actuator.

Any ideas or suggestions on what could be, or how to start troubleshooting?

* I also have the forscan program, but I could not really find anything that could explain why I’m having this issue, maybe you guys can. I’ll try to post it later when I have a chance to get it from my laptop.
** I had a local mechanic looks at it, he said he thought it could be a issue with the hybrid battery... ( I have a schedule with Ford Dealership next month, they are really backed up and can't diagnostic it any earlier than mid July)

Thank you very much

Attachments