Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Troubleshooting why my car keeps dying?

City
Ravenna
State
OH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 ford fiesta
I have a 2016 fiesta. To keep a long story short over the summer it kept dying had my family look over it as they are avid car people they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. So we assumed a bad battery went got a new one it continues to die. Battery tests good. Took it to a dealership they can’t find anything wrong it. Everything checks out to work just find. Can’t find a drain anything. I can’t leave it sit for more than a day sometimes even hours without it needing a jump. I actually had to jump it to take it to the dealership and by the time I got there 20 mins later they went out and it was dead again. Anyone have anything?

City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
Sounds like a parasitic draw for sure. You're going to need a multimeter with an ammeter to find it.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You don't mention if you have a conventional key ignition or the push button and fob. I would hazard a guess that you have a push button type with sync and Navi? Or do you have an aftermarket remote starter? Did the dealership charge you for the non diagnosis?

Jared B

City
Fort Benning
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE
I have a 2015, with normal key type ignition. When cranking to start, it would sometimes give nothing - no starter crank, just some clicks which I assumed were from the starter relay. This was especially apt to occur when I had gone away or left the car for a few days without running it. I read a few things about possible shorts in the system, and how it may be related to the dreaded 6 speed dual-clutch transmission electronic interlock. I reckoned that I had some water infiltration or something similar. What I did upon the advice of someone online was take the negative battery cable off, and sand all the paint away where it is connected to ground near the driver side shock tower mount. It seems to have done the trick, but I still have a feeling there may be an electrical gremlin in there.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
It looks like you found a solution! It is quite critical that all ground connections be clean and tight. It's not a. Bad idea to also spray some penetrating oil on the ground connections where you find them! There is an amazing number of grounds on the Fiesta. Both on the underbody and the interior.