Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Welcome newcomers, please introduce yourself!

City
Blooming Grove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
White 2017 Ford Fiesta SE Sedan
OK did a little test OBD2 with Car Scanner for Android on my way to Cars & Coffee. Coolant bars came on at 85F, 95F, 105F, & 120F. Car saw 199.9 with 77F ambient crawling in traffic; did not light the 5th bar. My ambient off the OBD2 is not correct. Not sure where it is pulling that from. My dash displayed 77F, which matched my phone; so not sure what that's about. Seriously considering a self-made custom intake mod to lower the intake temp. It ran 25-35F hotter than outside temp. Love having Volts and Water as real-time data not just an impending-doom/you're-already-screwed light.

View attachment 5173
Thanks for these numbers!

City
Blooming Grove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Here is another friendly question for fiesta owners:

Although my 2017 SE sedan has over 80,000 miles
right now, I am not having any engine temperature
problems yet. When is a good time to replace the
thermostat?

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE HB Magnetic
Here is another friendly question for fiesta owners:
Although my 2017 SE sedan has over 80,000 miles right now, I am not having any engine temperature problems yet. When is a good time to replace the thermostat?
Usually, they start to leak just before they die. Seems they are designed to do that...or they were....so you see there is a need and get it fixed. You could just change it out. It's a pretty simple task. Maybe add the OBD2, so you can monitor the temp? I use Car Scanner on my phone.

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I'm finding Ambient "sensor" - just under the hood at the Air intake snorkel side, just in front of snorkel - behind Grille - towards top - has a little cutout you can see from where the snorkel mates with it's formed cutout on the main radiator cross member...They are not the ones located on the cross bar member at the grille thru which you can see, the one I speak of - is on the top of the grille opening - i set a code and light on the dash when I tried to work on the snorkels airflow thru that cutout. Forgot to reconnect it one time - shows "0" and --- if left off the connector.
I wonder why it is not reading the correct temp?

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I think it's the direct steering and the way it doesn't have much body roll in corners. Feels flickable.
But a kart is not flickable. It's just nervous as shit and will drive off in the weeds in a split second; when set up correctly they are damn near undrivable. But then they are fast. An ST like that, would be too nervous for street driving.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Good thing to know - found this - I though it was hilarious - especially on a Sunday morning out for coffee sort of thing...

View attachment 5198

Sorry - couldn't resist...

Happy Mothers Day
to all those Mom's out there...
(...especially ones that have to put up with smart-alecky kids like me...)
Don't know what they were selling, but I find it interesting how ads this small are supposed to get me interested in...well...something. BTW...not a coffee drinker, but I have been known to troll Krispy Kreme on the way.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
But a kart is not flickable. It's just nervous as shit and will drive off in the weeds in a split second; when set up correctly they are damn near undrivable. But then they are fast. An ST like that, would be too nervous for street driving.
I never felt that the fiesta was flickable or tossable. In stock configuration the basic fiesta gave me the impression that i was driving a car that weighed around 350 pounds heavier than it actually is.
As i played with the fiesta it became apparent that the stability and traction controls, and to a lesser extent the nibble controls constantly looking at road speed, throttle position, steering angle and individual wheel speeds. All of that stuff is monitored and compared to the dynamic condition of the car in real time (ie; is the car driving into a curve at an excessive speed) and then stability and traction controls are either gently or intensively applied.
The ST version has some of these things dialed back. But, stabilty control through brake intervention is not totally removed or muted. That's why you are seeing a lot of discussion about big brake kits for the FiST. The FiST has more than sufficient brakes in stock configuration. It just has inappropriate control algorithms for track use.
I won't go into the cooling system capacity issues. Needless to say, it will be a crap shoot to see which deficiency ends the fun first.
I caught a truckload of manure on the other forum when i posted a thread for the costs of making the ST version a reliable track use car.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Deficiencies? The ST has its legend status due to the go kart handling and great reliability it's known for. Not to mention the fat aftermarket for addressing the heat that comes with racing.
One guy just hit 150,000. He's running a hybrid turbo.
1620667012199.png

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
You have a 2017 with a Air temp display on the Dashboard, not being "correct" to what the other Temperature sensors are working with.

The only help I can possibly provide ...
1620682580081.png

Since in the US it costs about $7 bucks online - thru a Dealer about $20 - but I would recommend that you take some time and look into replacing this part it can give you and the Dashboard possibly even the HVAC unit - wrong information - it mounts upside down thru two "gator" tabs.

Since this thing sits in the airstream - if there's been a lot of road salt, poor cleaning or just plain bumps and bangs on the front cowl/bumper skirt - this sensor can lose it's position, even it's seal and start electrically degrading performance and give you headaches and goofy results from the heater / AC not really working together very well.

Part # AU5Z - 12A647 - B
1620682985809.png

Your biggest problem would be in how to gain access to this little part.

You have to remove the front Cowl / Bumper Skirt - Nose and Grille - basically the whole front end trim to get at this little bugger.
PITA - and I'm not referring to the Crackers' 1620683426516.png

You can make a day of learning how NOT to try and do this yourself next time, or try to make a day of learning how the Fiesta is put together so the next time you want a car, you know what to look for...[?|]

Last edited:

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
You have a 2017 with a Air temp display on the Dashboard, not being "correct" to what the other Temperature sensors are working with. The only help I can possibly provide Since in the US it costs about $7 bucks online - thru a Dealer about $20 - but I would recommend that you take some time and look into replacing this part it can give you and the Dashboard possibly even the HVAC unit - wrong information - it mounts upside down thru two "gator" tabs. Since this thing sits in the airstream - if there's been a lot of road salt, poor cleaning or just plain bumps and bangs on the front cowl/bumper skirt - this sensor can lose it's position, even it's seal and start electrically degrading performance and give you headaches and goofy results from the heater / AC not really working together very well. Part # AU5Z - 12A647 - B Your biggest problem would be in how to gain access to this little part. You have to remove the front Cowl / Bumper Skirt - Nose and Grille - basically the whole front end trim to get at this little bugger. PITA - and I'm not referring to the Crackers' View attachment 5207 You can make a day of learning how NOT to try and do this yourself next time, or try to make a day of learning how the Fiesta is put together so the next time you want a car, you know what to look for...[?|]
Thanks....my AC has always been a bit slow to pick up...maybe this is the issue. Ordered a new one....let's see what happens.

Last edited:
City
STL
State
MO
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Ford Fiesta SE
Not having a differential is a lot of what makes a go kart handle the way it does... Weld up the spider gears in your Fiesta and you'll get closer to a go kart. Chances are it will drive like crap too. Being FWD it would be "interesting" to say the least.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Not having a differential is a lot of what makes a go kart handle the way it does... Weld up the spider gears in your Fiesta and you'll get closer to a go kart. Chances are it will drive like crap too. Being FWD it would be "interesting" to say the least.
You can't have a "spool" front wheel drive car. You need the diff so the wheels turn at different rates/radiuses on full steering lock. It would be pretty much undrivable on the street. Maybe a drag car?

City
Blooming Grove
State
NY
Country
United States
What I Drive
Here’s another friendly fiesta question:

I replaced my original battery on my 2017 SE at 80,000 miles.

Although I am not having any alternator problems yet,
when is a good time to replace the alternator?

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Here’s another friendly fiesta question: I replaced my original battery on my 2017 SE at 80,000 miles.
Although I am not having any alternator problems yet, when is a good time to replace the alternator?
It can go for years....not sure there's a reason to replace it until it shows signs of not charging.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
That's why I say it's a PITA - the number of pieces that have to be removed, is necessary to get access to a part that weighs less than 2 ounces!

Please don't try to "pry" it out like I did - you can't get enough oomph to press in back into - locked into, place once it's loose - you can crack it trying to do so.

The Front Grille is a lot like Peeling an onion, it comes off in one big shell, but peels off trim pieces layer by layer. If you're not careful you can even damage this trim stuff making the Radiator housing come loose and unsecured - not what you want to deal with or have it hauled to the Dealer - the laughter you hear from their back break rooms can be deafening...

The US version of the Grille is a LOT harder to remove, so it' easier to remove the whole skirt and front trim - to obtain access.

Once you're there, you can relocate that little sensor to wherever you wish - just close to moving air and not directly in the path of debris or sunlight rain and other hazards - it will work just fine.

LionsTooth

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Northern
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Maybe if I take off piece 8 I can get to it...just took a look, but wanted your thoughts.
That's why I say it's a PITA - the number of pieces that have to be removed, is necessary to get access to a part that weighs less than 2 ounces!

Please don't try to "pry" it out like I did - you can't get enough oomph to press in back into - locked into, place once it's loose - you can crack it trying to do so.

The Front Grille is a lot like Peeling an onion, it comes off in one big shell, but peels off trim pieces layer by layer. If you're not careful you can even damage this trim stuff making the Radiator housing come loose and unsecured - not what you want to deal with or have it hauled to the Dealer - the laughter you hear from their back break rooms can be deafening...

The US version of the Grille is a LOT harder to remove, so it' easier to remove the whole skirt and front trim - to obtain access.

Once you're there, you can relocate that little sensor to wherever you wish - just close to moving air and not directly in the path of debris or sunlight rain and other hazards - it will work just fine.
Copy that!

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Wow. You're really pissed that the ST is such a great car.
It's one for the record books. Such a quick, reliable car.
Mine makes twice the power and 3 times the torque, and is stone reliable, more than yours.
Good luck in your future endeavors.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Handy Andy General Automotive Discussions 10