Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2014 Fiesta, Low mirror cover repair

mattres

City
Malta
State
IN
Country
Malta
What I Drive
Mazda 3 2019
Has anyone every disassembled the whole mirror assembly?

1675939387363.png

I'm trying to repair a fully functioning mirror and can source the bottom plastic as such:

1675939431001.png

As well as the indicator, plastic frame and cover to repair the full mirror instead of replacing the whole thing.

My question is, how hard is it to split the lower part apart to be able to replace that bottom piece of plastic, has anyone done it?

Thanks

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
The lower part - as you can see in your supplied photo - uses a press nut to keep tension on a spring with a detent to "set" the mirror in it's extended outward position, then the mirror (upper portion) can then be twisted towards the car to slim down the parked profile and protect the mirror from breakage.

So you (we know this) but the problem lies in the press nut and fashioning another to fit and yet hold the spring tension to keep the mirror from popping off.

The shaft - from my understanding - is a "one shot" deal and many scraps are produced in production to show just to tricky that press nut, and to make the "square it on the shaft", is to it. For if the nut is not square (perpendicular) to the shaft - the vibration and rotation of the swing arm it works as, will back out that nut and or dig the splines of the nut loose and the mirror shakes and vibrates and becomes an epic fail.

It may be better to just replace the mirror assembly with another one or a newer one for the removing of the spline and nut itself - that original pressing is more a permanent positioning that is hard to re-establish.

The reason why I mention that is the one piece that you show is part of the install of the OEM spline and nut "smash" that puts the assembly (presses the upper arm to the spring and its seat) together - that if only the skullcap was broken that is bad enough - but the shaft assembly and that bottom support - too much to lose there in realignment and pressing it back to refit.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
+1 on what Andy said. I looked at salvaging a few pieces of mirrors from damaged Fiesta’s I have purchased. Other than being able to pop off a couple of mirror faces, they were all toast.
When the pivot bolts are broken loose, it’s the equivalent of having a broken spine.
The guts of the assembly may still have some useful parts. Drive motor and mirror face being most valuable.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
M

mattres

City
Malta
State
IN
Country
Malta
What I Drive
Mazda 3 2019
Thread Starter #4
Thank you guys, looks like I'll have to source a replacement mirror which is very confusing given the numerous different connectors there are between 8/10 pin!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Keep the old mirror - for as you work thru the offerings, you may find that a basic mirror complete, is far cheaper and then you can install the wiring to the specific tailored needs.

The older mirror is a parts bonanza for the wiring harness and pins and the sockets they go into - are all quite good unless the vehicle was in a wreck - which again, cost of new versus a simpler replacement of a known working mirror. Keeping the OEM one for parts to transfer works - at least you have a template to work from.

OP
M

mattres

City
Malta
State
IN
Country
Malta
What I Drive
Mazda 3 2019
Thread Starter #6
So I've found out that the non facelift wing mirrors are significantly cheaper than the facelift ones on the mk7. Can't seem to figure out why because they look the exact same and the only difference I can find is the connector block which can be repinned!

I'm thinking of using the harness from this broken mirror and putting it in a cheap one such as an Alkar 6111394, any thoughts if this should be possible since I have the facelift?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
You are in a position to see if they fit. Worst case scenario is that you might have to return the new style mirror back.