Merrimack
State
NH
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Edge Sport
Hello,

I joined this forum hoping to find people that have experienced this issue and can offer advice.

I purchased the vehicle used, approx 10k miles 7 or so years ago. Factory Warranty up to 60k miles.

At 35k, oil pan is leaking. The seal. Ford covers reseal under warranty. Within a short time (couple days) leaking again. Returned vehicle. Oil pan is drained, revealed, and allowed ample time dry before oil added. This works for some time.

62k miles, oil pan is leaking. I bring to Ford to diagnose and they state a new oil pan is needed along with a new seal. I decided to go to a local garage this time as it saved me $100+/hour in labor. This task is 5+ hours. Oil pan is replaced. All good for 6 months. Oil pan is leaking. Return to local garage. Within 2 months, its leaking.

I return to Ford (dealer where vehicle was purchased). Vehicle now has approx. 65k miles. Ford states it needs a new oil pan. Ok, sure, why not? They think I'm crazy at this point. Like I know what the heck is going on. Pay out of pocket again for an oil pan and reseal. Within 24 hours, you guessed it, leaking! Return to Ford. They reseal, this time trying to "scrub" or "lightly scrape" texture to help the silicone sealant. Give it ample time to dry. Within 3 days, leaking AGAIN. All techs are perplexed. They call in a senior tech whom has seen it before but does not have a solution. They tell me they contacted Ford Engineers in Michigan who they say are well aware of this issue and even created a part to resolve it. They say it's a Block Stiffiner; the tech explained a lot of diesel engines have this to avoid flex which may be why the oil pan seal keeps getting damaged. Sad piece, Ford will not cover, and it is a costly part and repair. My car is still in the shop. I am angrily awaiting for the estimate.

Have you heard of this?