Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Bad Heater Matrix ?

Wocdy

City
Torquay
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2010 Titanium Fiesta
Hi all,

seeking help as winter is almost here. For months my heater has stopped working I have full power of the fan control but it’s always cold unless I am specifically on setting 4 and on max heat (high) if I go down hill and brake or go over a bump or speed up and then let go of throttle a loud air popping noise can be heard and all of the heat comes through, as soon as you turn the fan down one or even the temp by a degree it goes cold.

Heater matrix replacement I have quotes of £1.6k my car is only worth 2k 😂.

anyone got any easy suggestions ?
Many Thanks,

james 👍

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Easy suggestions? Pull the return hose off the heater core and confirm that the flow of coolant is not restricted. Is your Fiesta equipped with auto temp control or manual temp control? That is the first thing I would be doing in that situation.
The next possible cause could be the heater control valve has failed. It's not a hugely expensive part to replace. I am uncertain if later mk7 Fiesta had this component across the range or not. s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
OP
W

Wocdy

City
Torquay
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2010 Titanium Fiesta
Thread Starter #3
Hi,

manual temp control dial on mine.

can have a look at hoses not had any issues with cooling and garage said getting to engine fine.

mode how it sometimes kicks on

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I'd try having someone help you by operating the controls while you go under the dash and locate the drive motors that move the "drum" inside the air ventilation assembly in the console and also you can listen for the Fan motor to operate.

If the Fan motor does not spin up right away - the system might be trying to move the drum to the setting you selected on the dash - so you'd hear and see a motor under the dash trying to move the drum to make the air blow thru a specific set of vents. You should listen for noises like a loud clunk onto a snappy click meaning gear mesh is slipping - if you hear that, it may mean something has jammed the drum.

The Left side in the USA versions has the fan motor and drum turning motors - while the Right side has the intake vent, the temperature sensor and the blend door for the heater/AC.

Has the Cabin filter been changed?
  • If so, it may have not been reseated right - it's been known to jam the door either by putting the panel back together or the element itself can be pushed in wrong to the slot and binding or affecting the AC Evap core and heater core - shifting it's position from their "notches" on the Air Ventilation assembly.
  • If not, it may be plugged or unable to pull in air unless the blockage has been removed.